Thursday, January 12, 2012

Colorful Crochet Blankets

Some people enjoy knitting while others enjoy crocheting.  I've learned to crochet on my own, therefore, my blankets are simple and yet colorful.  Recently I made two baby's blanket (one for a boy and the other for a girl).

Baby's Blanket
                                            Baby Boy's Blanket

The baby boy's blanket is a square with three color yarns (beige, light green, and green). Each color are in an alternating row almost like seeing water waves.

It's an interesting process crochet a row, change color, flip, crochet another row, change color, flip and continue each row until you reach 36 inch square.

It's a slow process since you don't want to skip a stitch.  I also add a nice and tight boarder which completes the blanket.

This baby boy's blanket took me a week to do in the evenings.  I mailed it to the happy family and some time later I received a heartfelt thank you.  


Baby's Star Blanket
                                            Baby Girl's Blanket


The baby girl's blanket is a star shape design made with white and rainbow color yarns. This was my first time crocheting a star shape blanket, therefore, it took me a little longer to do since at times, I had to undo a row or two because I lost count.

The process on this one is more challenging than the square blanket since you start at the center stitching a circle then move up to the next row.

I'm moving from right to left thus when I next double stitch (DS) I'm offsetting it and then I go to the next hole. In this hole I do the following corner set (3 DS, 3 Single Stitch, 3 DS) and then go to the next hole and do a DS.  At this point instead of going to the next hole skip it and then DS, next hole do the corner set and repeat until loops is closed.  

Every time you move up/out from the center of the star as you crochet from one corner point to the next corner point you'll see a pattern as each row increases... 

                        start of circle, 4 SS, slip stitch (sl st)
                        row 1 circle 20 DS, 
                        row 2 { 3SS, 3DS, 1DS, pinch gap, 1DS, 3DS, 3SS }, 
                        row 3 { 3SS, 3DS, 2DS, pinch gap, 2DS, 3DS, 3SS }, 
                        row 4 { 3SS, 3DS, 4DS, pinch gap, 4DS, 3DS, 3SS }, 
                        row 5 { 3SS, 3DS, 6DS, pinch gap, 6DS, 3DS, 3SS },
                        row 6 { 3SS, 3DS, 8DS, pinch gap, 8DS, 3DS, 3SS },
                        and so on,
until you've reached the desired size.

The pinch gap as I call it allows for the v-shape as you move along from one corner point to the next.

Once I understood the rhythm of this pattern I felt more comfortable making each row as the blanket grew in size.

I tried following the free pattern flyer I got from the craft store but I didn't have the patience to follow the written instructions so I basically looked at the image and since the blanket had alternating colors, I counted the rows and obtain the blanket size.  That did the trick for me.

Just like the baby boy's blanket, I finished the star blanket with a nice boarder. This baby girl's blanket took me two weeks to do in the evenings.  I mailed it to the happy family and some time later I received a heartfelt thank you.  

So nice to know that both children are enjoying their handmade blankets.

Perfect for this time of year.  Brrr.

No comments: